Manager of Tissue Recovery
Safety Sensitive Position
The primary duties of the Tissue Recovery Coordinator (TRC) are to manage the tissue donation process through the acts of tissue donor screening, tissue procurement, and data coordination with, but not limited to, tissue processors, coroner, medical examiner, physicians, healthcare professionals, and funeral directors. Must achieve the primary objectives of (1) maximizing donation (2) providing the utmost care and concern for the deceased and (3) fostering a learning atmosphere through education and communication of donation information.
Requires proficiency in computer skills, excellent surgical skills, and knowledge of anatomy and medical terminology. The TRC must be capable of leading a team of per diem technicians during tissue recovery operations. Requires a high degree of autonomy, including self-scheduling of work time and activities, assisting in the development of program policies and objectives, providing written reports to ARORA and hospital leadership.
- Responds appropriately to potential donor referrals and conducts a comprehensive, accurate assessment of the medical status of a potential tissue donor according to ARORA SOPs in compliance with, FDA regulations and AATB guidelines.
- Performs assessment of potential donors for initial suitability of tissue donation including hemodilution calculation and communicates appropriate information to the tissue processors, as necessary. Uses clinical judgment based on medical findings to assess suability. This may include but not limited to in depth medical review, physical assessment, and medical/social history review.
- Continuous assessment of pending donor recoveries to preserve maximum donation options. Example would be when coordinating multiple authorized donors with various time constraints.
- Recover and package authorized donor tissue according to ARORA, AATB, FDA, and tissue processor guidelines.
- Completes all forms associated with an authorized donor.
- Schedules and coordinates transportation of donor and packaged tissue and necessary transportation paperwork.
- Facilitates ongoing communication with the health care team, funeral home, and family, when required, during the evaluation of referred potential tissue donors.
- Coordinate tissue procurement with hospital staff, transport staff, and per-diems.
- Works jointly with the tissue processing companies to facilitate the release of tissue for processing or distribution.
- Properly dispose of waste and sharp materials.
- When required, interacts with potential donor families in a manner that respects human dignity and shows reverence for life.
- Acts as Team Lead for cases which occur during assigned schedule.
- In relation to the Tissue Recovery Technicians; during the course of donor recovery, responsible for notification of pending recovery, report for duty time, recovery assignments, supervision of recovery of donor tissue and packaging.
- May be asked to travel to hospitals in our service area to perform recoveries via car (company or personal vehicle) or small aircraft.
- Performs site assessment to ensure suitability of environment for recovery.
- Identify, document and resolve issues related to tissue donation.
- Functions as an expert resource to hospitals on the subject of tissue donation.
- Develops and maintains effective working relationships with key hospital staff
- Maintains regular and punctual attendance at assigned work location.
- Accurately document timekeeping records.
- Completes and maintains appropriate documentation in a timely and thorough manner including activities. Examples includes: training documentation, mileage, expenses, electronic schedule of ARORA events, and other forms.
- Exhibits and models ARORA’s conduct standards, mission, and organizational clarity (core purpose, core values, business definition, and strategic anchors) in all job functions and interactions both internal and external to ARORA.
- Attendance at staff meetings, training programs, and/or in-services meetings, as required.
- Demonstrates professional appearance, behavior and standards in all business dealings and interactions.
- Demonstrates professional conduct and behavior reflective of ARORA’s respect, honor, admiration and reverence for the donor and donor family.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Fosters effective relationships with client representatives.
Potential Risk Factors:
- Risk Exposure to Blood/Body Fluids: While performing some essential functions of your position, you may be exposed to blood or body fluids. Established procedures identify the appropriate personal protective measures that you should use when performing essential functions of your position. The ARORA Safety program will provide you with the appropriate procedures and guidelines in which you should perform the essential duties of your job. If you need additional training or resources, please see your supervisor or the ARORA Safety Officer.
- Repetitive Motion: While performing some essential functions of your position, you may be required to perform some functions repeatedly. When such tasks are not performed properly, injury can result.
- Minimum Weight Lifting Requirement: While performing some essential functions of your position, you may be required to do some lifting, moving, pushing, or pulling. When such tasks are not performed properly, injury can result. Precautions and/or equipment that should be used when performing this task. Must have the ability to lift minimum weight of 55 lbs.
- Prolonged Sitting, Standing, and Bending: While performing some essential functions of your position, you may be required to sit, stand, or bend for an extended period of time. When such tasks are not performed properly, injury can result. Precautions and/or equipment that should be used when performing this task.
- Competency Evaluation: Competency evaluations are required for this position. Your supervisor will notify you when your evaluation is to be conducted.
- Training: You may need additional training to better understand the performance requirements of your essential job functions. Training classes are available and can be requested and/or assigned. Your attendance at such classes is mandatory.
- Required to travel by personal vehicle to fulfill the duties and responsibilities of the position.
- May require travel by commercial or chartered aircraft.
- Non-smoking office.
- Drug Free Workplace.
ARORA is a 24/7 operation and will require this position to work various shifts. Tissue Recovery Coordinator participates in a rotating call schedule and maintains an on-call schedule of 24-hour work shifts. This position must be available evenings, holidays, and weekends as required.
Minimum Job Requirements
- High School Diploma or equivalent with EMT, Paramedic, CST, CFA, or CTBS certification.
- Bachelor’s degree in an allied healthcare profession, preferred.
- Maintain a valid driver’s license, reliable automobile, and proof of automobile insurance.
- Must maintain required vaccination and/or health screenings to minimize the potential for disease transmission.
- Consistent demonstration of attention to detail, precision, accuracy and customer satisfaction.
- Possess strong prioritization skills and the ability to effectively manage multiple projects and tasks.
- Excellent problem solving, conflict resolution and interpersonal skills (i.e. has the ability to make decisions based on situational circumstance, company policy and customer relations).
- Ability to utilize general office equipment, software, and must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Bachelor’s degree, experience as a Surgical Recovery Technician, or Tissue Recovery Technician (Per Diem).
This position is responsible for acquiring and managing confidential records and ensuring that information is protected according to the recognized standards, regulations, and standards for maintaining patient records.
To apply visit our career center at www.arora.org.
So that we may learn more about your qualifications, please submit cover letter, resume, and three professional references with your application submission. Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Location/Region: Little Rock, AR (72205)