Founded in 1872 as Arkansas College
Director of Developmental Mathematics
Lyon College seeks qualified candidates for the Director of Developmental Mathematics beginning in August 2020. Applicants should have an MA or MS in Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, or related quantitative field with preference given to those who have experience in the field of Developmental Mathematics. The successful applicant will be responsible for the following:
• Teach seven courses, with a minimum of four to five sections of Intermediate Algebra and two to three sections of College Algebra and/or Math for the Liberal Arts annually;
• Provide effective instruction that encompasses active and meaningful learning activities and frequent and timely feedback to students regarding their progress;
• Coordinate with the Mathematics faculty to prepare and/or maintain course syllabi for Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra and Math for the Liberal Arts, adhering to established program objectives;
• Track and support the subject-specific skills development of students;
• Participate in the development/revision and implementation of program assessment plans and utilize feedback to improve learning outcomes;
• Provide additional academic support to at-risk students including one-on-one mentoring.
Demonstrated excellence in teaching at the secondary or baccalaureate level is required; experience at a small, residential liberal arts college as a student or as a faculty member is desired. The successful applicant will be able to work with the Director of Academic Support and the campus-wide student success team to positively impact retention. Direct experience working with under-resourced students outside of the classroom will be beneficial.
To apply, send a letter of application, a curriculum vitae, and a statement of teaching philosophy along with the names of at least three current references and their contact information to Ms Clarinda Foote, Director of Human Resources, 2300 Highland Road, Batesville, AR 72501 or electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org with Director of Developmental Mathematics in the subject line. The deadline for applications is March 31, 2020.
Lyon College is a private, selective liberal arts college affiliated with the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). It is located in Batesville, Arkansas, a safe and historic town of 10,000 that serves as commercial, medical, social, and governmental hub for an eight-county area. The College currently enrolls almost 700 undergraduate students from 25 states and 11 foreign countries. Entering freshmen have an average high school GPA of 3.5 and an average ACT composite of 24. Lyon College is an equal opportunity employer.
Location/Region: Batesville, AR